BENEFITS OF BABYWEARING
IT'S NOT THE TYPE OF CARRIER YOU USE, IT'S HOW YOU USE IT.....
The most important aspect of Babywearing is SAFETY. With so many different types of carriers available parents often feel overwhelmed with the choices, let alone how to use some of these infernal contraptions! Regardless of what carrier you are using, Safety is paramount, and the same rules apply:
1. Make Sure Your Baby Can Breathe
2. Face Visible to you, Close Enough to Kiss (they should basically be in the same position as they usually are when you are holding them against your chest)
3. Never use a baby carrier in a car (yes, it is tempting when they are sleeping so soundly, but RESIST!)
4. Don't jump on a trampoline with your baby in a carrier. Or anything else that is bouncy. Including jogging. Seriously.
5. Only use age/weight appropriate carriers
6. Be aware of what they can reach. Their arms grow a few feet while in a carrier, so beware. Especially when COOKING.
For more detailed safety rules, just follow this link to Babywearing International. Here's another great link off their site regarding Safety.
And, of course, find a local Babywearing Group close to you. They often have libraries of carriers that you can try out before spending the big bucks on a new one. (Secret: you can get really good ones used on www.thebabywearer.com - and find good articles on how to make your own. Warning: Site and carriers are addictive. Once you start, it may be impossible to have "just one.")